This dish was a client favorite when I ran my own personal chef service. Now i’m sharing this awesome recipe with you!
The star ingredients of this recipe, hands down are the chicken, the jalapenos, cilantro and lime. Combined, all these things create a delicious, mouthwatering dish. Chicken is a great source of lean protein which is really important when you are doing a low-carb / keto diet. The cilantro, jalapeños and lime infuse this dish with a whole lotta guilt free flavour. If you don’t like, or are unable to eat spicy food. DO NOT FEAR! Removing the seeds from the jalapenos leave all the great flavour with none of the heat. I’ll walk you through that when we get there 🙂
This dish really maxes out the flavour of these ingredients and allows them to shine!
2 – 2 1/2 lbs skinless-boneless chicken thighs or breast
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3 teaspoons fresh lime zest
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped finely
4 jalapeño, chopped finely*
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely or crushed
2 tsp cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chili powder or to taste
½ tsp chili flakes
2 bell peppers
1-2 onions (I love onions so I use 2)
*Adjust how much jalapeno seeds and ribs you include based on your spice preference. Meaning: If you don’t like spicy food, deseed your jalapenos before adding them to the marinade. The more you like spice the more of the seeds and ribs you can include in the marinade. I use the seeds and ribs from 2 jalapenos and deseed the rest.
1. Get a big bowl, mixing all the ingredients of the marinade together using a whisk or fork. Make sure the marinade is well combined together.
2. Using a tenderizer, pound the chicken breast out.
3. Add chicken to the marinade and make sure to stir and coat the chicken evenly. Marinate for 2 hours.
4. In the meantime, thinly slice the bell peppers and onions. Set aside in the fridge.
5. When marinating is finished, heat a heavy bottomed pan on med-high heat. When the pan is hot, add chicken and pan fry for approximately 6 mins and each side, turning frequently.
6. When chicken is nicely charred on the outside and cooked throughout, remove from the pan. Set aside on a plate.
7. Add peppers, onions and a few tablespoons of the leftover marinade to the hot pan and sauté. Cook until peppers are onions have softened and the peppers have a slight crunch.
8. Slice rested chicken breast and serve with the pepper & onion mix. Enjoy!
I serve my chili lime chicken with pepper and onions with:
Cilantro lime cauliflower rice
Pico de gallo
This dish can also be served with tortillas (low carb or conventional for our non-low carb family and friends!) and used as filling in a wrap.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Comment if you make this dish, I’d love to hear how it went 🙂